Recreation Coordinator- MLK Rec Center
Company: City of Denton
Posted on: November 17, 2022
Responsible for coordinating recreation programming and providing
support for programs and services. This is accomplished by
supervising temporary seasonal personnel,volunteers and contract
instructors, as well as developing, implementing and supervising
recreation programs, promoting the activities and assisting with
facility operations. Other duties include monitoring the allocation
of resources, assisting with the budget process, providing
organizational support for the department and interfacing with
other City employees and citizens in relation to the PARD mission
and City's Core Values.
Essential Functions and Other Important Duties
* Supervises temporary seasonal personnel, volunteers and contract
instructors including interviewing applicants, coordinating
training, monitoring work tasks, coaching staff, evaluating work
performance, scheduling program staff and assisting with
* Develops and implements various programs and special events by
assessing the needs of citizens, negotiating class and instructor
fees, preparing program goals and cost analyses, scheduling program
dates, reserving program facilities, purchasing and maintaining
equipment and materials, and collaborates with Marketing
Administrator to promote and advertise programs to citizens.
* Assists supervisor as liaison to volunteer agencies, public
schools, universities, organizations, and agencies in establishing
and implementing specialty programs.
* Assists with addressing and resolving complaints and concerns
from the public, responding to emergencies situations, preparing
facilities for programs, rentals and special events.
* Monitors the allocation of resources by maintaining program area
supplies and equipment, evaluating and recommending budgetary needs
for program area. Position is also responsible for vendor and
instructor payment processing and budget oversight of program
* Assists with daily reconciliation reports, monthly reports, and
other routine administrative tasks.
* Acquires job specific certifications and training related to job
specific program area.
* Partakes in the development of continuous improvements and
process efficiencies and communicates recommendations that seek to
improve customer service
* May represent the facility/program supervisor in their
* Maintains regular and punctual on-site attendance
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications / Acceptable Equivalency:
* High School Diploma/GED and 5 years of recreation experience and
1 year of supervisory experience.
* Bachelor's Degree in Recreation or a related field, 2 years of
recreation experience and 1 year of supervisory experience.
* Any combination of related education, experience, certifications
and licenses that will result in a candidate successfully
performing the essential functions of the job.
* Possesses, demonstrates, and maintains skills and knowledge to
perform job competently.
* Ability to produce quality work with accuracy and
* Ability to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing
* Ability to accept responsibility for effectively managing and
resolving conflicts, confrontations, and disagreements in a
positive and constructive manner to minimize adverse impact.
* Ability to analyze problems, make objective decisions, and
execute them effectively without prompting.
* Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in
* Ability to form and maintain effective relationships with
coworkers and customers.
* Bilingual in Spanish and English
* 1 year experience in a licensed preschool or similar setting
* National Recreation and Parks Association CPRP certificate
* Experience utilizing Rec 1 Software or similar recreation
* Technically proficient in Microsoft Office with emphasis in
* Experience with CANVA design software and Facebook scheduling
Conditions of Employment:
* Must have and maintain a valid Class C Driver's License and valid
state required minimum automobile liability insurance prior to
employment (must obtain Texas Class C driver's license and state
required minimum automobile liability insurance within 90 days of
hire per state law.)
* Must pass a drug test, driver's license check, criminal history
background check, and social security number verification
* Must pass a physical examination
* Must be able to complete cash handling class within 6 weeks of
* Must be able to work overtime or outside of regular business
hours when requested
* Must attend and successfully complete the City's Defensive
Driving Course (DDC) and Van training as soon as possible after
employment (if required to drive City vehicle or personal vehicle
for City business.)
* Must complete CPR, AED & First Aid Certification within 6 months
* Must complete City of Denton Cash Handling course within 6 months
* For fitness positions, nationally recognized fitness
certification (ACE, AFFA, ACSM, NASM, etc.) within six months.
* Preschool Directors meet the Texas Department of Family and
Protective Service (TXDFPS) Minimum Standards of Care for
Child-Care Centers within 12 months of employment.
* Must be able to pass FBI fingerprinting and background check as
required by TXDFPS childcare licensing.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements
Overall Strength Demands:The italicized word describes the overall
strength demand of the functions performed by the incumbent during
a typical workday.
* Sedentary - lifting no more than 10 pounds
* Light - lifting no more than 20 pounds; carry up to 10 pounds
* Medium - lifting no more than 50 pounds, carry up to 25
* Heavy - lifting no more than 100 pounds, carry up to 50
* Very Heavy - lifting more than 100 pounds, carry more than 50
Physical Demand Codes: The following describes if the incumbent is
expected to exert the following physical demands during a typical
workday and the overall frequency.
Codes for "how often":
Y = Yes
N = No
E = extensive (100-70%)
M = moderate (60-30%)
I = infrequent (20-10%)
A = almost never (
Keywords: City of Denton, Denton , Recreation Coordinator- MLK Rec Center, Other , Denton, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!